Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Exhaustion, nervous giggles and inappropriate humor. It's how we roll.

Well today was surgery and things have gone smoothly. Dad's doing awesome, but is in a lot of pain. (they did cut apart some muscle and rib bone, puncture and collapse his lung and remove a section of lung tissue, so what else would he be expecting?) While this has been the longest day since this whole cancer shindig started, it has not been the worst.
Now, don't get me wrong, obviously it was no walk in the park. We didn't have a party or anything, but it went well, there were no complications, the surgery was over quickly and this place is actually quiet compared to most hospitals I've been in.
There was much more laughing going on as we waited, than most people feel is appropriate. We really didn't care. My mother, brother and Uncle (Dad's youngest brother) and I all sat in the waiting room during surgery and put together a puzzle while making the MOST inappropriate jokes and giggling somewhat hysterically due to being SO overtired, but it's been a good day.
I bring this message to you from the bedside of my dad while he's in the SCU ("Special Care Unit" same as ICU, just for tards?) just to have some quiet time and make sure he's got someone here with him in case he needs anything before the staff makes me leave.
Mom's brother came up for a while and visited, which was cool, but he had to take off due to family and work. Next to shuffle out completely exhausted with the beginning of a migraine was Dad's brother, then I made Mom and my brother take off since my mother looked horribly exhausted and I know she hasn't slept for more than 2 hours from the anxiety. I am currently running on less than an hour of sleep, but had a great night talking with a friend that I don't get to see nearly enough and even though he's falling asleep intermittently, I know my Dad's ok and it's a chance to just be.
All in all, today has been a long, but good day. Between the puzzles, jokes, giggling, round of "Life" on the iPhone and my Dad's lung being in the clear now, I can't say it was a wasted day.
I just really hope that the next time we have to do this it goes as smoothly and the staff is half as nice as the one here at Moffitt, cause the TGH Staff were pretty rude when we had the biopsy done and one never knows how easily I may snap. lol
I hope everyone has had at least a decent day and thank you all for any thoughts, prayers and well wishes for my dad and the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment